Disconnected Carbon Monoxide Detector – Lead to 13 Hospitalized

In Illinois a property owner disconnected the CO detector because they thought it was malfunctioning.  (see below)

 
These alarms should be taken seriously! Call a local HVAC contractor (or fill out our form), utility company or fire department to investigate a smoke, fire or CO detector that is alarming.  Never just take the battery out.
 
Remember that these detectors are good for about 5 years then they need to be replaced, check the manufacturers instruction on installation and replacement of these alarms.
 
There are a combination of ways to protect yourself from CO poisoning -
  1. Get a new CO detector, with fresh batteries and if it is hardwired it is also a plus.
  2. Have annual inspections of combustion appliances such as water heaters and furnaces.
  3. Change the batteries annually to assure the operation of the alarms in your home.
  4. Listen to your body.  The symptoms of CO poisoning imitate the flu.  CO is colorless and odorless so you can't detect it, but if you feel sick and you get better with fresh air that may be a sign that there are CO issues in the building.

cropped fire hazard-resized-600

Police: 13 people taken to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning in Cicero

Published: Monday, Feb. 24, 2014 5:06 p.m. CST

CICERO – According to police reports, 13 people were rushed to MacNeal Hospital for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning at about 9:24 p.m. Feb. 22.

Cicero fire and police officials were called to the 1600 block of South 48th Court on a call of possible carbon monoxide poisoning. Officials found numerous victims in various stages of exposure.

Police said the homeowner had disconnected the residence's carbon monoxide detector because he thought it was malfunctioning after when it was continuously sounding an alarm.

 

If you need help with temperature, contact Cold Craft, Inc.

408.374.7292 or INFO@COLDCRAFT.COM

Share This:Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on LinkedInDigg thisShare on RedditShare on StumbleUponEmail this to someonePrint this page